Program Starts: Late August (high school & college)
Registration: Begins in March of the previous year 1) compete registration form 2) turn in to your counselor 3) high school counselor faxes it in.
COLLEGE STUDENTS: register/pay tuition at yvcc.edu
Class Time: 8a-10:30a 12p- 2:30p 3p-6:10 (College Level)
~~ National Certificates of Competency- Apply to take DANB's RHS and ICE Exams
~~ "Hands On" - Intensive, practical lab environment.
3 high school credits
- *Equivalency credit in Lab Science, Health
- Leadership opportunities: HOSA Student Assoc.
- College Prepatory
- Opportunity for scholarships
- *up to 24 College credit with a grade of "B" or better and successful completion of full program *MUST COMPLETE ENTIRE PROGRAM 540 HOURS
Students will learn oral anatomy, infection control, oral pathology, preventive dentistry and radiography (X-ray). Other course objectives include chair-side procedures, impressions and study models, safety standards and regulations, observation and internships. Students also need to get immunization against Hepatitis B, measles-mumps and rubella, Tetanus, and a Tuberculosis skin test.
Students who complete the program will have job opportunities as Chair-side Dental Assistants, Dental Hygiene Assistants, Radiographic Assistants, and Infection Control Technicians.
Employers are seeking graduates of this program who have an excellent attendance record, are self-starters and pay attention to details. Employees are expected to be neat and clean and maintain a business-like appearance. They need to be empathetic and understanding of patients and their related problems.
- Dental Assisting Orientation
- Oral Anatomy and Physiology
- Infection and Hazard Control
- Introduction to Chairside Procedures
- Dental Charting/Exam Procedures
- Coronal Polish and Fluoride Treatment
- Dental Radiography
- Impressions and Study Models
- Assisting with Local Anesthesia
- Rubber Dams
- Pit and Fissure Sealants
- Cements and Bases
- Chair-side Assisting
- Temporary Crown Fabrication
- Dental Office Observation (2 weeks)
- Internship (10 weeks)
- Resume and Job Search
* RHS and ICE are registered trademarks of the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB). The YV-Tech course is not reviewed or endorsed by DANB.
Watch the Dental Assisting Video
Colleges & Tech Schools